Monday, November 30, 2015

Bursting Raspberry Muffins for #SRCHolidayTreats #MuffinMonday

Here it is the last day of the month and it is a Monday.  You know that the last Monday of each month is Muffin Monday but this is not only the last Monday of the Month but also the fifth Monday of the month.  That, my friends, means a special edition of the Secret Recipe Club.  In this special SRC, if we choose to join, we are assigned to others who also participated and are not necessarily in the group to which we are assigned.  I always participate because this gives me a chance to meet others who I would not normally get to meet.

This time I am assigned to My Hobbie Lobbie who also owns the blog Claire's Party Supplies.  I am assuming that her name is Claire but I am not sure because while I learned a lot about her while browsing her about and recipe pages I did not learn her name.  What I did learn was that she loves to cook and craft and by going over to her other blog I learned that she is very, very good at crafting.  I also learned that she is very happily married to her best friend and that she offers recipes for traditional Goan food that she learned from her mother.  

I have to confess that I had to google Goan.  Since I don't believe I am the only one who is unfamiliar with Goan traditions and food I will share this definition from Wikipedia.
Goans (Konkani: गोंयकार, Romi lipi: Goenkar, Portuguese: Goeses) is the demonym used to describe the people of Goa, India, who form an ethno-linguistic group resulting from the assimilation of Indo-Aryan, Dravidian, Indo-Portuguese and Austro-Asiatic ethnic and/or linguistic ancestries.

I am definitely going back to this blog in the future to try some of these recipes like this delicious Baath or this Cabbage Fugad.  But for this month I was looking specifically for a recipe to use up some raspberries that I had in my refrigerator and that also met the theme for Holiday Treats.  Only one recipe came up when I searched raspberries and that was for a smoothie. So I turned to her recipe Index and found recipes that used berries but not necessarily raspberries, one of which was a recipe for Bursting Berry Muffins.  This recipe used mixed frozen berries but I knew it would adapt well to fresh raspberries, it fit the theme of Holiday treats and it also took care of Muffin Monday.  I did a little happy dance and started making my muffins.


Wouldn't these be the perfect treat to add to your Holiday Brunch table?
They are light and fluffy, not overly sweet, with bright bursts of tart raspberries.

I also made a few other adaptations.  My Hobbie Lobbie had decreased the baking powder from 1 T. to 1 t. I split the baby and added 1 1/2 t. to my version.  I increased the sugar from 1/2 to 3/4 c since I was only using raspberries instead of mixed berries and they were more tart than sweet.  I also used sour cream instead of Greek yogurt because that is what was in the refrigerator.  My Hobbie Lobbie has temperature at 180 C. so I adapted to 350 F.


These went to with me to visit my mother in the Memory Care center.
She and her "gang" were very happy to share them.
They are quick and easy to put together and only take a short bake.
They are going to make many appearances here over the Holidays I think.


Bursting Raspberry Muffins
adapted from My Hobbie Lobbie

2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
2 eggs
1 c. sour cream
1/4 c. buttermilk
1 T. canola oil
1/2 t. vanilla
1 c. fresh raspberries coated in 1 T. flour

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl, set aside.  Whisk together remaining ingredients except raspberries in a small bowl.  Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix just until incorporated.  Gently fold in the raspberries.

Divide batter evenly into a 12 cup muffin tin that has been fitted with paper liners or sprayed with baking spray and place in a preheated 350* oven for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center removes cleanly.  Print Recipe


Would you like to join the Secret Recipe Club?  You can learn how here.  Now let's see what Holiday treats the others are sharing today.



An InLinkz Link-up

Here is what others from the Monday Muffin Crew have made


Muffin Monday#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.

33 comments:

  1. Raspberry muffins are the best, Wendy! And I love the name especially. Makes me want to take a great big bite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those would be delicious on Christmas morning! Nice choice for the SRC!! Hope you have a wonderful holiday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so good. I love raspberries anyway. Great SRC choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sid and thanks for your kind words after visiting my blog.

      Delete
  4. Mmmm...... I love raspberries and these muffins looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumm! These look absolutely wonderful - love raspberry everything. What a cool blog you got to visit for this reveal day too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got that right Rebekah. I love getting to know new bloggers.

      Delete
  6. Wendy,
    I found some raspberries still on the canes last week while I was clearing frost-killed plants out of the garden. It was such a great season for berries that I've got bags of homegrown berries in the freezer.
    The kids will adore a batch of bursting muffins--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay Wendy, two for one. I decided to skip the SRC event what with the Thanksgiving holiday =) These look so good. I love raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Karen, I was happy I could combine these two events.

      Delete
  8. Oh raspberries, makes me think of the summer time now that it is all cold. A good muffin though does warm you up on those cold mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These muffins are gorgeous. I may have to pull some raspberries out of my freezer and make a batch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm... raspberries. what a great choice! Happy Holidays!! Traci, BurntApple

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for explaining Goan cooking. I had never heard of Goan. Those muffins look delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound fantastic! I love raspberry ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've gone into sugar shock. What to make and eat first!? Such Luscious things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Zip. I hope you and yours have a marvelous and Merry Christmas season.

      Delete
  14. Yum! Great pick. Now I really want some muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great double duty recipe! And raspberries are always a perfect muffin choice. But, I'm starting to think we always agree on things. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.