Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Apple Turnovers for the Farmer Boy #CooktheBooks #AppleWeek

Image may contain: food and text

On this, Day 2, of Apple Week I am sharing a recipe inspired by the book Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Image result for Farmer Boy

I first read this book to my children when they were young.  We read several of Wilder's books and we watched the show, Little House on the Prairie, faithfully.

This time, I ordered up the book from audible.com and I listened as the narrator, Cherry Jones, read it to me.   I did not remember this book having so much food in it.  It talks about food continuously mostly as seen by the eyes of Almanzo Wilder when he was a young boy.  

Almonzo was always hungry and lucky for him, his family was very successful and comfortable and his mother was an amazing cook.  Almonzo thought of food constantly and could barely wait to dig in when supper was on the table.  Being the youngest he was served last and only got what was left. Luckily for him there was always an abundance of food as well as special treats that his mother would make especially for him.

Almonzo's favorite treat was his mother's Apple Turnovers and they were described in mouth watering detail.

I listened to this book way back in July, while floating in the pool with my sister in law, Mary.  She enjoyed the book as much as I and we would turn it off and discuss different aspects of the story as they came up.

I knew I wanted to make Apple Tarts and I also knew that Apple Week was going to occur during the time that this book was assigned as our Cook the Books selection.  Deb of Kahaiki Kitchen chose it for the August/September read.  You probably don't have time to read this selection however next  selection is The Patriarch, assigned for October/November and you are welcome to join us.  You can find out how by going to the about and guidelines page of our club.

I'm also sharing this over at Foodies Read 2017 where we share all our books that inspire us to get into the kitchen.


Each blogger participating in Apple Week was given a gorgeous case of HoneyCrisp Apples from Rainier Fruits.  Rainier and our other sponsors are also hosting a tremendous giveaway for our readers.  Please head back to my Welcome Post to enter to win.

Disclaimer: Thank you to #AppleWeek Sponsors: Rodelle, Dreamfarm, Casabella, Flahavan's Irish Oatmeal, Pryex, Chicago Cutlery, Rainier Fruit, and Veggie Wash for providing prizes for #AppleWeek free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #AppleWeek. All opinions are my own.

Now I wouldn't normally use HoneyCrisp apples for baking. They are so good that we eat a couple each day when they are in season.  I did want to showcase Rainier, however, so I used them in these delicious and easy tarts.


Using frozen puff pastry makes these quick to put together.  Brushing them inside and out with egg wash ensures that the edges seal and they turn a beautiful golden brown.


Tender spiced apples enfolded in a flaky, golden crust made for perfect little turnovers that I'm sure Almanzo would be drooling over.

Apple Turnovers
source: Betty Crocker

4 apples, peeled, cored and diced
2 T. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1 t. cinnamon
2 t. cornstarch
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg 

Melt butter in a skillet or sauce pan over med high heat.  Add the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch.  Cook and stir until apples are tender and caramelized and the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.

Roll the pastry into a 15"square.  Cut into quarters so that you have 4 even squares.  

Whisk the egg with 1 T. water.  Brush each square with the egg wash.  Add 1/4 of the apple filling onto each square, fold into a triangle and seal the edges by pressing with a fork.  Brush the top of each turnover with the egg wash.

Bake in a preheated 400* oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Print Recipe




Now let's take a look at what the other members of Apple Week are cooking up today.

22 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed listening to the book. I too was surprised at all of the food in it. ;-) Apple turnovers are one of my very favorite things in the world and HoneyCrisp are one of my favorite apples so these turnovers must have been amazing. Thanks for joining in. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for hosting Deb and for choosing such a fun book.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing on the All Things Apple Celebrate 365 Blog Party! These flaky turnovers would be a winner for all ages.

      Delete
  3. Oh, these look flaky and delicious! I can't wait to try them. I agree with you on the Honeycrisps: I wouldn't normally bake with them either. But I'll bet these were fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. I didn't know making apple turnovers could be this easy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I also didn't know about this particular book. How could I have missed it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the second in the series Paula and I enjoyed it very much. The turnovers are very easy and tasty too.

      Delete
  5. These are so perfectly golden brown. My mom and Granny used to love Little House. I always hated watching it, but I don't think I ever gave it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be fun for you to look it up again and give it another try.

      Delete
  6. What a fun treat and I love that they come together relatively easily but still look amazing! I loved those books as a kid, I get Little Dude interested in them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlee, they were fun and easy. I'm so happy you put on this event again this year.

      Delete
  7. I miss these promotional events. What a great box of apples and you turned them into these mouthwatering turnovers which is just perfect for CTB. There were a mighty load of apples in the book, wasn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There sure was, that's why I had to wait so long to submit this recipe. I read the book so long ago and I am also finished with the remaining selections for this year!

      Delete
  8. Those apple turnovers sound fabulous. One of the many tempting things from that book I still want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One notices different things at different ages. Great choice of recipe: Almanzo's favorite (he really likes to eat and he's not a picky eater :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So flaky! What a beautiful turnover!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.