Sunday, September 24, 2017

Autumn Harvest Pumpkin Soup #SundaySupper

I love harvest season.  I love the smells, the flavors, the crispness in the air.....say what???  Well, it is 85 and humid the day that I am writing this post but I can imagine how much I am going to love the crispness in the air when it finally arrives.

That is why I was excited when the folks over at Sunday Supper asked us to share our favorite Easy Pumpkin Recipes.  Pumpkins are the epitome of Fall Fruits and Veggies.  In fact, we are going to spend an entire week celebrating the Pumpkin starting October 2nd, so this was a great kick off for that event.


This delicious, creamy, savory pumpkin soup is perfect for the season.  You can enjoy it with a sandwich for lunch, as we did, but it really shines as an elegant first course at a harvest dinner party. Perhaps garnished with some fried sage leaves or garlicky croutons.  

This recipe serves four but can easily be doubled to serve more.  I flavored mine with some Pumpkin Spice Liqueur that I had on my shelf but you can also use a dry marsala or vermouth if you'd like or omit the alcohol completely...it's your soup.


I used homemade pumpkin puree but you can use canned puree if that is easier for you.  I also had some good olive oil that I had infused with garlic that I used to sauté up the onion and sage, if you don't have the infused olive oil, add a clove of minced garlic along with the onion.

Autumn Harvest Pumpkin Soup

2 t. garlic infused good olive oil (or 2 t. evoo + 1 garlic clove, minced)
1/2 of a small onion, diced
3 fresh sage leaves, minced
2 c. chicken broth
1 lb. pumpkin puree
1/4 c. pumpkin spice liqueur
1 T. flour
1/4 c. heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over med high heat.  Add the onion (and garlic, if needed) and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes.  Add sage leaves and cook a minute or two, until fragrant.

Add the liqueur and cook, scraping the bottom of the pan for a minute or two, then add the broth and pumpkin to the pot.  Cook  for 10 minutes, until slightly thickened.

Combine the flour and cream, stirring to completely dissolve the flour.  Reduce heat under the soup to a simmer.  Stir in the cream mixture.  Continue cooking and stirring until the soup is silky and thickened.  Do not allow to boil.  Taste and season with salt and pepper.  Print Recipe


More Simple Pumpkin Recipes

Meals, Sides, and Snacks

Delectable Desserts

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

12 comments:

  1. I love butternut squash soup so I need to try this asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, same here! Does not feel like fall one bit---but soon I'll be happy to sip on your pumpkin soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummm, pumpkin & sage is one of my favorite combinations. What a beautiful and tasty looking soup. (And it feels like summer here too.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pumpkin soup sounds so wonderfully comforting! Perfect for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the intro to pumpkin spice liqueur, Wendy! Your soup is indeed an elegant starter =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the flavors of Fall in a delicious comforting soup. We love cream soups like this to dip our sliders in, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah this would be good with sliders. Now I'm hungry again.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.