Thursday, September 14, 2017

Baked Brie with Honeyed Apples #ImprovCookingChallenge

Improv Cooking Challenge is a fun group started by Nichole of Cookaholic Wife.  Nichole provides us with two ingredients each month and sends us off to create our best recipe containing those ingredients.

No automatic alt text available.

This month the ingredients are honey and apples.  So very many ideas flooded my mind.  Honey and Apples is such a wonderful flavor combination and can be used in so many applications, both sweet and savory.


I decided to use mine in one of my favorite appetizers.  I was having a small dinner party and wanted something for the guests to enjoy with cocktails while I put the finishing touches on dinner.


I had picked up a wheel of Brie last time I made a Costco run.  I like to have it on hand because it makes a great appetizer.  It is quick and easy and very impressive.  You can top it with whatever you have in your pantry or refrigerator.  Our son is a jam maker and gifts us jars of jam whenever he makes them.  They are the perfect topping for brie cheese.


But today's challenge was all about honey and apples.  I grabbed two tart apples from the refrigerator and sauteed them up in some butter with cinnamon, nutmeg and honey.  


I baked the brie for about 10 minutes, removed it from the oven and poured the warmed apples over the top.


I served it up with baguette slices but it would work equally well with crackers or even additional apple slices. Look at that ooey gooey goodness!


I'm anxious to see what everyone else made with honey and apples. How about you?  You will find links to their recipes right below mine.

Baked Brie with Honeyed Apples

1 wheel brie cheese
2 tart apples, peeled and diced
1/2 t. cinnamon
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1 T. butter
3 T. honey

Place the brie onto a glass pie pan and bake in a preheated 350* oven for about 10 minutes, until softened but not oozing out of the seams.

While brie is baking, melt the butter in a skillet over med high heat.  Add the apples, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Cook and stir for a minute, then add the honey, continue to cook and stir until the apples are tender, only a minute or two.  

Remove brie from oven and pour the warm apple mixture over it.  Serve immediately. Print Recipe

More Awesome Apple and Honey Creations




7 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering, Wendy! We're planning on taking our Thanksgiving up to the cold country this year & this recipe will be the PERFECT warm appetizer. Can't wait! (I might need to practice... a few times...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using fruit in appetizers so this is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures are making me drool! I love the combination of the brie and the apples and honey! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Thank you for sharing at our apple celebration of Celebrate 365 Blog Party!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.