Thursday, September 28, 2017

Easiest Ever Apple Sauce #AppleWeek

Wow, where did this week go?!  Apple Week is nearly over.  Only two more days of fabulous recipes, over 100 recipes will be shared in all.   That is huge!!  Thanks so much Carlee of Cooking with Carlee, for all of your hard work.

Image may contain: food and text

Yesterday, I recapped what I had made up until today.   I have been having so much fun and have loved seeing all the great recipes at the bottom of each post.  I have been spending a lot of time, reading posts, marking and pinning recipes that I want to put on my dining table in the future.

Speaking of the future.....your opportunity to win one of the great prizes offered by our sponsors is nearly gone.  Only today and tomorrow....so you better head right over to my Welcome Post and enter to win, right now.

I want to take this opportunity to say Thank you to #AppleWeek Sponsors: Rodelle, Dreamfarm, Casabella, Flahavan's Irish Oatmeal, Pryex, Chicago Cutlery, Rainier Fruit, and Veggie Wash for providing prizes for #AppleWeek free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #AppleWeek. All opinions are my own.

Today we are getting down to basics.  You cannot have apple week without celebrating the most common way of eating them off season. Yep, today we are making applesauce and the recipe I am giving you is so easy peasy that you may never buy applesauce again.


I like to use a variety of apples in my sauce.  For this batch I used the Honeycrisp apples provided by Rainier Fruit  along with some tart apples that I had picked up when I went to an orchard here in Michigan. 

One of the reasons this sauce is so easy to make is because you don't have to spend time peeling all those apples.  Since they aren't peeled, it is even more important that they be well cleaned before cooking.  I used Veggie Wash and the fruit/vegetable brush provided by Casabella.


Simply core and quarter your apples.  Place them into a large pot with some apple juice.  I do not put any sugar in with my apples, but I do add a whole cinnamon stick to the pot.


I don't use ground cinnamon in my applesauce as I find that it can sometimes lend a bitter flavor to the sauce. I also add lemon juice to my apples as they cook.  This allows for water bath canning if I am not going to use the applesauce in the next couple of weeks.


It only takes about 15 minutes for the apples to be tender enough to run through the food mill.


A few short moments of turning the handle and the apple has turned to sauce leaving behind all of the skins to be discarded fed to the chickens.


Now is the time to taste and add sugar if you want.  I found that using honeycrisp apples and apple juice is plenty enough sweetness especially if you intend to use it as a side for meats or in your baking where you will be adding additional sugar.


4 pounds of apples provided me with 5 cups of applesauce.  I used 1 1/2 cups immediately in this coffee cake that I baked up in this gorgeous baking dish from Pyrex in their new watercolor collection.  I will be sharing this recipe with you in a couple of weeks so stay tuned for that as well as other recipe using this easy peasy and delicious sauce.


In less time than it would take you to run to the grocers you can have homemade applesauce.  You know exactly what is in the food that you are feeding your family.  You control how much sweetener is included. 

You will be done with this recipe so quickly that you will have tons of time to take a look at the other apple recipes on the bottom of this post!

Easiest Ever Apple Sauce

4 lbs of asst. apples, cored and quartered
1 c. apple juice
1 T. lemon juice
1 cinnamon stick

Place all ingredients into a large pot.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 15 minutes until apples are very tender.

Place a food mill over a bowl.  Run the apples through the food mill, allowing the sauce to drop into the bowl and discarding all the peels.  Taste and season with additional sugar, if needed. Print Recipe

More Amazing Apple Recipes


6 comments:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.