Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Sweet and Sour Pork #FantasticalFoodFight #CrazyIngredientChallenge

I'm very excited today.  I love when the stars align and I am able to complete 2 cooking challenges with just 1 recipe.  Today is such a day.

Sarah of Fantastical Sharing of Recipes assigned honey as our ingredient for our Fantastical Food Fight this month.



Kelly of Passion Kneaded chose the theme Sweet Potatoes and Pineapple for our Crazy Ingredient Challenge.


These are wonderful ingredients and I knew that I could combine them to make a winner of a dinner.


Earlier in the week, I had trimmed a pork tenderloin into medallions for dinner one night.  I had set aside the trimmings knowing that I could cut them into bite size pieces for this dinner.  The recipe I am sharing was just the perfect amount for the two of us.  You can easily double or triple the recipe according to your needs.



Sweet and Sour Pork

1/2 lb. Pork tenderloin, cut into bite size pieces
Peanut oil
1/4 c. flour
2 T. cornstarch
2 T. water
pinch of salt
1 egg white
1/2 can (5 slices) of sliced pineapple, cut into chunks
1/2 c. of the pineapple juice from the canned pineapple
1/2 c. water
2 T. honey
2 T. brown sugar
1/4 c. rice vinegar
1 t. soy sauce
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 small, sweet onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 T. cornstarch mixed with 1 T. water
5 mini sweet peppers, stemmed and halved (or 1 lg. bell pepper, cut into chunks)

Whisk together the flour, cornstarch, water, salt and egg white in small bowl.  Add the pork and toss to coat evenly.  

Heat about an inch of peanut oil in the bottom of a wok or large skillet.  When hot, add the pork in batches, cooking until golden brown.  Set aside on a paper towel lined plate to drain.

Discard the oil and wipe the wok clean.   Combine the juice, water, honey, brown sugar, vinegar and soy sauce.  Pour into the wok and bring to a boil.  Add the onion, sweet potatoes and garlic.  Return to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and let cook for about 8-10 minutes, until potatoes are tender.

Stir in the cornstarch/water mixture to the sauce.  Bring to a boil, cooking and stirring until sauce is thickened and glossy.  

Return the pork to the pan, along with the pineapple and peppers.  Cook and stir until heated through. Print Recipe

More Honey Happiness





More Super Sweet Potato and Pineapple Productions



30 comments:

  1. This looks delicious - we love stir fries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can never go wrong with a stir fry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love sweet and sour pork!! Or sweet and sour anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds delicious, wendy! i love making homemade take out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love stir fries, and this sounds delicious! Love all of the flavors of your sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been years since I've had this dish...my mom would always order it when we got takeout. Now, I tend to get other dishes instead. Might need to switch things up the next time we order out. Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck - Colleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or make it and surprise your Mom with a homecooked "takeout"

      Delete
  7. I love a sweet and sour stir fry- this work out great for your 2 projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You S&S pork sounds FANTASTIC and I am 100% pinning it. Thanks, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. :-) it is awesome when you can hit two challenges with one recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  10. My kids LOVE sweet and sour pork! an't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I usually to not like fruit in my savory recipes, but pineapple in a sweet and sour recipe is definitely an exception. Can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you were able to combine both blogging events with one very delicious looking meal!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A double whammy... hardly happens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My hubby would love this! Will have to try! Yum! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The sweet and sour pork looks delicious! Looks like I can easily sub chicken too.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.